Careers Advice Information & Guidance

We want our students to achieve academically but also enjoy fulfilling personal and working lives when they have left us.  

Careers Education is delivered progressively in all year groups as part of our Personal Development Programme as well as being firmly embedded into all departmental schemes of study. We aim to equip all learners with the knowledge and skills to navigate the choices and changes ahead.  This is underpinned by a Careers Education & Guidance Policy. This has the full commitment of the school leadership team with Director of Post 16 Education & Personal Development, Mr Robert Biggs, our strategic lead. 

All Years – Students will have the opportunity to have a Careers Conversation with our Careers Advisor throughout the year (see below)

Careers & Higher Education Fair

We are mindful to reflect labour market developments in Gloucestershire and beyond in the design of our careers support. We aspire to reflect and support the county's Local Industrial Strategy  Our Careers Education Programme is supported by regular engagement activities with employers and education providers including our highly successful annual Careers & Higher Education Fair. Outside organisations should refer to our Provider Access Policy for details concerning access to learners and school events. We seek to embed Labour Market Information into the school curriculum to allow students to make informed decisions about their futures.

LMI Assembly 2022

Careers Adviser

All students may access a professionally qualified Careers Adviser (Mrs Helen Michaluk) for one-to-one guidance. She is also available to meet parents/carers and students at school information events. We have created a calendar of careers events for parents, students and staff to help identify opportunities to help with their career choices. It is a live document and in its infancy and will be updated on a regular basis.

Careers Support

Sixth Form careers support has a focus on preparation for higher education and apprenticeships. This includes Career Insight talks, conference visits and bespoke activities designed to support students seeking entry to medicine, law, veterinary science and Oxbridge. 

We also actively encourage and support Year 12 students to undertake a one-week work experience placement in order to develop career understanding and employability.  This may also include volunteering and other personal development opportunities such the National Citizens Service.

National Citizens Service  


Careers information resources include a dedicated Careers & Higher Education Resource Centre and online access to several carefully selected resources located on the school intranet. This includes our own careers portal Careers Companion (please note this is only available with a current school  log in). Refer also to the Useful Links suggested from the Beyond the Sixth Form.

Employers & Work Experience Opportunities
The Crypt School is a dynamic and forward thinking school.  Approximately 70% of our Year 13 students progress to university, whilst the remaining 30% pursue the Apprenticeship or employment route, with a few seeking a Gap Year.  We currently work with a range of local and national employers, both on a formal and informal basis.  We have a wide range of companies who support our careers Insights Programme, which runs in terms 5 and 6, as well as large multinational companies help with our year 8 Employability Conference.  We are also grateful to the businesses that accommodate our year 10 and year 12 students on their work placements during the school year.
As a school we believe passionately in developing meaningful and sustainable links with businesses, where a real impact can be made on our students' learning and careers progression.  For example, we have two local engineering and aerospace companies who are regular visitors in school, who mentor and support our Lego programme and work with potential engineers of the future.  We also work closely with a wealth management business, who support our students with opportunities to enhance their CVs.
We are always looking to develop new relationships and would be delighted to talk to any business organisation who would like to work with us and our students.  We welcome positive feedback as well as feedback to allow us to move forward and shape what we do better.  Please do not hesitate to contact Chris Germaine, careers Leader - [email protected] 

We are currently working towards the national Quality in Careers Standard as an indication of our commitment to excellence in careers support. See the link for more details.  

The Quality in Careers Standard

Careers Leader: Mr Chris Germaine
Contact Email: [email protected]
Contact Telephone Number: 01452 530291

Follow us on Twitter: @CryptCareers

Our StoriesAnd achievements